8/20/05

California Here We Come

Up at 6 am. Finish last minute trips back & forth...I'm almost looking forward to sitting in BW (initials for motorhome that I have lovingly christened, "bandwagon" ) It's hot and muggy but a last minute shower makes us presentable until about St. Louis. Ben and Jennifer are on schedule, although their van dies in the driveway from running the springhill generator all summer. Meg and Ashley stop by for final farewell. I hear them all crying and purposefully avoid that area. Ben prays, everyone cries. Melissa wants to go back in one more time but doesn't.
And we're off.
All kids show signs of hyperactivity, trying to jump up and see if they're any further back in BW when they land? Ben's first comments about sleeping in the back bed while traveling, "Having trouble sleeping in that martini shaker back there." Jen's famous question after about 2 & 1/2 hours down the road, "So, are we going to be in this thing all day?" and Melissa while stuck in construction outside Chicago, "Ewwww, I don't want to go this way...you know the routes I like."
What were we thinking?
But we sail right down the lake, our only mistake being I-55 instead of I-65, but soon utter exhaustion overwhelms the Springhill workers and I make these observations.
The floor of the BW gets hot. 
Crazy box like home following us down the road.
I forgot bread.
Truckers looking in our windows.
I'm positive we brought too much stuff. We have a camera/electronics cupboard, for crying out loud.
Some town names strike me as funny. Funks Grove & Shirley
Randy Travis' Rise and Shine is awesome traveling music for someone who likes country.
Tiny cell phone towers now dot the landscape and they're almost as plentiful as the ever changing mile markers.
Someone hoisted a lonely American flag on an overpass pillar.
The morning and the evening are the first day. And it was good.


In hindsight, we have no problems-Donate to the Red Cross for the Katrina victims.

No comments: