3/25/05

It's A Date

What has happened to the hopeless romantic?

Am I so old fashioned that the art of dating has literally gone the way of the rotary dial?

Do guys call girls and ask them out on a date? Or does everybody just hang out?

I don’t EVEN want to know what the term “friends with benefits” mean. I can’t really get into specifics but I don’t think my subject matter has ever “been on a date.” Not that there’s anything wrong with that. And I don’t lay the blame entirely on their opinionated-intolerant-narrow-minded-most-guys-turn-out-to-be-jerks attitudes. I’m not even sure they have been asked out. So there-in lies the problem.

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to push, shove, or manipulate anyone. Me? And the group thing can be good, it can also be a cover. You’re bored silly with someone you can always engage with someone else in the group. But you’re out on a date and someone talks non-stop about themselves, or drives a good conversation right into the ditch with endless banter…you kinda have to finish it out or think of some creative way to move from the date to washing your hair.

I don’t know. It’s just a date, for crying out loud, it’s not a prenuptial agreement. I’m thinking it’s a lost cause, this dating thing and now I have gone ahead and risked the fact the two people in my life may never talk to me again.

No comments: