7/16/12

Shalom

I am intrigued by Hebrew words and their meanings. For instance, most would associate 'Shalom' with the word 'Peace' ...and yet Hebrew words convey so much more than one word. They convey feelings intent and emotions.  In the case of Shalom, Strong's concordance adds these words to the meaning: wholeness, health, peace, welfare, safety, soundness, tranquility, prosperity, perfectness, fullness, rest, harmony, the absence of agitation or discord. 
So shalom is more then just simply peace; it is a complete peace. It is a feeling of contentment, completeness, wholeness, well being and harmony.
Proverbs 18:21 tells us there is life or death in the power of the tongue. So I speak and employ the word "shalom" into your (and my) life today, adding all the wonderful things that shalom means!
BibleGateway lists 249 verses (Old & New Testaments) which mention peace. Here are 7 ... read them with a fresh understanding of what it really means to be at peace.


You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on you: because he trusts in you. Isaiah 26:3
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. Matthew 5:9
My peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27
I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world. John 16:33
The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace. Romans 8:6
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.  Romans 15:13
Finally, brothers and sisters, rejoice! Strive for full restoration, encourage one another, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you. 1 Cor 13:11
And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philipians 4:7




Today I pause, 
Pause to speak over you the peace that only God can give
Pause to listen to the singing of the cicadas and the passing of summer 
Pause to pray covering and blessing over young people preparing to follow God in marriage
Pause to ponder the love and happiness two little grandchildren bring into my life
Pause to contemplate what's important and what is not, in life's daily plans and decisions
Pause to share shalom with you



No comments: